Saturday, April 27, 2013

The Standoff

Well, I had my first coupon standoff today. I have been so afraid of this day because I wasn't sure that I knew enough about different stores' coupon policies, but I stood my ground when I was challenged and... read on to see what happened!

Last week, I went to Dollar General and, on my receipt, got a coupon for $5 off of $25 today only. So, this morning, I sat down and planned my trip based on current sales and coupons I had. My list was:

6 Renuzit air fresheners ($1 each/used a buy 3, get 3 free coupon)
1 Poise wipes ($3.50/used a $3 off coupon)
5 Bounce dryer sheet boxes ($2 each/used a $3/3 coupon and a $1.50/2 coupon)
2 Glade candles ($3 each/used a $1.50 coupon)

Without coupons, my total was $25.50. To use the $5 coupon, the total needed to be $25 before taxes, so I was good to go! I took Thomas (my husband) with me and we picked up all of our items and headed to check out. The cashier rang up the items and then asked me for my coupons. I gave her the $5/$25 coupon first (which she pushed to the side) and then the others. She scanned my other coupons first, and then she informed me that she wouldn't be able to scan the $5/$25 because my purchase was no longer $25. I quickly corrected her and told her that the $5/$25 one should have been scanned first, and she continued to argue. She called over another cashier who agreed with her (even after I explained that the $5/$25 was supposed to come first).

I very politely told the cashiers that I would be more than happy to take my coupons and leave without my items (fully intending to go to the DG on the other side of town), and they then called over the manager... who told them I was right! The cashiers were both incredibly embarrassed (especially because there were 10 people in line behind me at that point), but I was very proud that I stood up for myself.

I was able to do this because I knew their coupon policy. It is so important to know (or carry a copy of) stores' coupon policies in case something like this happens to you. Had I not known for sure that I was right, there is no way that I would have stood there and argued for 10 minutes. In the end, though, I got my $5 off which brought my whole purchase down to under $10! (And I got another $5/$25 coupon for next Friday... let's hope they have themselves together before then!)


No comments:

Post a Comment