Monday, April 15, 2013

How to Organize Coupons

I am a firm believer that coupons are the best way to save money on things you buy... but they only work if you know where yours are!

There are probably a thousand different ways to organize coupons. Binders, shoeboxes, plastic baggies, accordion files... if you can think of it, it's probably been done. There is no "best" way for me to tell you to organize your coupons, because each person thinks differently and organizes things differently. I can, however, introduce you to a few different popular ways to organize. You can choose one of these, choose a different method, or mix and match!

Caddy Method
This is my current preferred method of organizing my coupons. It was cheap (my favorite!) and, since I did it all myself, it is completely customized to how I want it. I have it separated into several different sections, and each section has its own categories. The purple tabs are for non-food items, and the pink tabs are for edible items. Target has its own section that holds my Target Web Coupons (which can be stacked with manufacturer's coupons). In the very front, I keep coupons for pet-related items. You never know when pet items are going to be really cheap (or free!), and shelters love getting donations for these kinds of things.

I use this method because it is easy for me to organize my coupons. I put things in the categories that make sense to me, and I know exactly where to look if I need a coupon while in the store. This little caddy is also really easy for me to carry around and stick in the kid-carrying part of my buggy while I'm shopping. Clipping coupons and organizing them like this takes more time up-front (with clipping and filing), but it makes my trips to the store much quicker. When I see an item on clearance, it takes me only a few seconds to know whether I have a coupon for it.





Accordion File Method
This method is similar with the one listed above, except that the coupons are organized into an accordion-style folder. This is good for the same reasons mentioned above! This is what I based my caddy method off of, but I wanted something I could carry in my purse all the time. 

Binder Method
This method is really great for people who need to be able to see all of their coupons at once. By using a binder and clear page protectors, baseball card holders, and dividers, you can give each coupon its own pocket (and put multiples behind them). 

Personally, I don't think I would like hauling around a big binder full of coupons. It seems a little bulky and inconvenient, but it is a great method for those who want everything laid out and immediately visible. However, it is super quick to find the coupons you need!

Shoebox Method
This method is one for people who don't want to clip each coupon and file it. With this method, you simply place the weekly coupon inserts in a gallon-sized plastic baggie and mark it with the date. Then, use sites like CouponMom to find out what coupons you need for your next trip. Look in the baggie for the right coupon, and then clip it! Much less time up front, but more time later (as you're sifting and clipping).

No comments:

Post a Comment